With this Israeli shakshuka recipe, you can prepare a tasty Israeli dish in no time at all.
It’s an egg recipe brought by Tunisian Jews to the Holy Land when they made their Aliyah to Israel. Initially, it was prepared with just a meager amount of ingredients. However, Israelis modified the dish as time passed, adding various spices and vegetables to make it more nutritious and satisfying.
Israeli Shakshuka Recipe
4 medium eggs
1 medium onion
2 garlic cloves
1 medium red bell pepper
1 canned tomato
A small dab of tomato paste
1 tsp paprika
salt and pepper
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 tsp chili powder
1 tbsp tahini
Note: Use canned tomatoes only if red ripe tomatoes are not available. Fresh juicy tomatoes are still the best option.
- Heat the pan and add 1 tbsp. of virgin olive oil
- Saute and sweat out your garlic and onions for about 2 minutes.
- Add in your sliced red bell pepper, fry it until slightly softened.
- Make a well for your spices and let them fry for less than a minute.
- Put a small dab of tomato paste and add your canned tomatoes. Let it simmer until the sauce thickens.
- Once the sauce thickens, make four wells and dunk in your eggs. Close the lid and let it simmer until the eggs are cooked. Add in some parsley and a bit of salt if needed.
- Serve it hot and sprinkle some fresh parsley or chives, and drizzle it with tahini sauce for a more flavorful, sumptuous meal.
What to serve with this dish?
You can serve this Israeli shakshuka egg dish with roasted potatoes, pita, or sourdough bread.
For the sourdough bread:
Mix some crushed garlic, olive oil, butter, salt, and pepper in a small bowl. Spread the mixture evenly on your nicely and thickly cut sourdough bread, and pop it into the oven until it’s nice and crispy.
If you want to see another variation of this Israeli egg dish recipe, here is a video.